Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 1 with Denise

This weekend is the seminar with Denise. Today was great. I have walked away with ideas for when I start working on the formal retrieve and some ideas for helping to get a closer heel. And after following Denise's suggestions for tug delivery on the down after only a handful of reps she has quit levitating her elbows. That is something I have been struggling to fix and had no idea how I was going to do it.

Tomorrow we are going to do more work with the dogs and I have to decide what I want us to work on. I have so much I need to work on that it is hard to decide. I am thinking maybe fronts, I really need to get her straight. What she does now can barely be called a front, though I also got some great info on fixing that problem today too. I wish I had brought my hula hoop. If I had my ideal it would be to work on send outs. I can down Vivre and walk away either still or out of motion but she doesn't like moving away from me. I don't know about working on that at the seminar since I am not sure how I feel about working her off leash around strange dogs. Okay I know I am paranoid.

On another note I have a new appreciation for Yoda. This is the first time I have been away with just Vivre. So far we have trained with food, trained with toys, I've tossed food around the room for her to eat, and we've trained some more, and trained some more. She finally has curled up on the bed and gone to sleep. She has also been very good about noises in the hotel. I was a little concerned and the first time she heard people she started to bark, but after I hushed her she has mostly ignored the noises. I am off to make my notes from today and veg before tomorrow.

No comments: