Monday, August 10, 2009

Our Beach Adventure Day 1

I don't like to leave my animals. It is almost a phobia. So we went camping. That way I could take the dogs with me. Or at least the ones who I thought would be okay. So Friday my mother and I loaded Yoda and Vivre up and headed for South Carolina. I noticed the night before when I was loading the car that the floor was warm. Apparently the tail pipe had rusted in half and was blowing up at the under side of the car. Great. Oh well it wasn't too hot so I figured it would be fine. We loaded up the dogs and took off. I positioned the dogs so they weren't near the heat, just in case and checked it. It was fine for the first few hours, up until it scorched my carpet and melted a plastic bag. So we went looking for a midas. First and EMT sent me down the higway where a liquor store manger sent me across town, and so on and so on as we could not find the Midas. We spent an hour and a half driving all around Spartanburg visiting various mechanics trying to find somebody to fix my tail pipe before we finally found the Midas the EMT told us about. Vivre was great. She went in to the garage and greeted everybody and got lots of attention. She was great. So after 2 1/2 hours in Spartanburg we were back on the road.
We get to the park and start to get the tent set up and I look up and Vivre has managed to get out of the crate and is running around. Great, what next?
The real fun was her first trip to the ocean. I had a toy on a rope to lure her in to the water. She does not like the water. When she got hit with a wave it was the only time I have every really seen her let go of a good solid bite. Actually though she did get better about getting in the water. Especially if she thought she might get to chase the sand pipers.
She did really well right up until dark, then as we were walking back to the camp site she scared the crap out of a family when she started lunging and barking at them on the trail. I finally had to put her in the tent. So I need to work on finding ways to get her used to being around strange people in the dark. I live in such a rurual area that this will take some thinking.

No comments: