Sunday, May 10, 2009

Horse Show

We have a horse show at the barn the second Saturday of every month. A great puppy opportunity since it gives me a chance to expose her to applause, loud speakers, whooping screeches, and a varied crowd of people I know. The people are all regulars who are there almost every month. Except last May we had a miniature horse show, where we added several classes specifically for minis. Well apparently this is to be an annual event, so there was a larger crowd than usual and several people I wasn't as familiar with. Luckily it wasn't much of a problem and my mother was helping me so I could get Vivre out of there periodically and give her a break. The original plan had been to park the car just outside the door and give her several breaks, but the torrential rains that have caused the wildlife to begin traveling two by two, made parking in the back of the arena iffy in my little car.

There were points where Vivre got a little nervous, she is only 9 weeks old, but she did very well, walking across the table to greet people and playing with the kids. I let some of the other children pet her and give her treats, but there were only three siblings that I let her actually play with. I know their parents, they are regulars and there mother even said that if she got them with her puppy teeth while playing that it was no big deal. She did actually pass out and sleep for a little while on top of the table where I could keep an eye on her.

We had a few iffy moments. She did fine with the applause, but the whooping would get a reaction. Kids jogging were okay, but if they were flat out running there she would go. The same with the horses. We played Leslie McDevitt's Look at That Game with the jogging and running kids. I finally managed to find a food treat that Vivre likes and I don't find completley objectionalbe. Three Dog's Bakery We Pity the Kitties. The treats are 100% Alaskan Salmon, but Vivre and the cats are crazy for them.

Vivre is very good at settling down to sleep at night, tonight I think it will be easy for her.

No comments: