Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Not A Happy Puppy

Vivre spends very little time crated or restricted when I am home. It really hasn't been necessary, as long as I keep checking on her and make sure she gets out often enough. Today I had the cats neutered. I won't leave them at the vets overnight because I have heard horror stories about animals who stayed the night and weren't closely watched. I wasn't going to subject the still drowsy kitties to Vivre. She is getting better about understanding that the cats don't want to play, but she can still be a pest.

So I got home with the cats and set up the x-pen for Vivre. There was a pillow, a variety of stuffed animals as well as two different treat toys. She was very vocal in her objections. Especially when I took the opportunity to sweep. Normally Vivre helps me sweep, by grabbing the broom with her teeth and picking up all the dirt and dust I miss with her fur. Just stopping the broom doesn't fix this since she loves to chew on the broom. In fact she will regularly grab the broom and drag it to one of her pillows and chew on it. The fact I was sweeping with out her didn't go over very well.

After a couple of hours on intermittent barking, with breaks to empty her kong or roll the treat ball around, she finally fell asleep. I did take her out and just keep her leashed near me for a while. She likes that better, but we need to start working on her being calm and quiet while contained. After all I am going to have to start cleaning again soon (despite how much I really dread that) and I really can't let her help me with that. (She is chewing on the broom again. Weird puppy.)

No comments: