Sunday, May 17, 2009

More behaviors

Well, I understand the saying about Pride and falls. Apparently Vivre will sit at the door if she needs to poop, but not to pee. Sigh. Ok, we are still doing pretty well with the house training. On the other hand I am finally getting to do some more training. She outs everytime on command. She occasionally hesistates, but I think she is really getting it because even if I freeze the tug she only outs if I give the cue. We've done sits, downs, down to get out of the crate, out, eye contact, targeting and name recognition. Now we are getting to "Take," and jumping. She is a baby so jumping basically consists of going over a target stick. It started on the ground and now is maybe three inches up. She can still walk over it, but I am going for the idea that she has to cross it and hoping that can be built up to jumping.

It helps that I have discovered that training sessions make her sleep. Yay for brain work. It wears her out so much quicker than physical excersise. Of course the dumbell I am working with is a Tennis Bone. This makes it easier for her to grab the ball ends instead of the bar. But she grabs the bar often enough that even if I use the Tennis Bone for a while I can shift criteira and get what I am looking for.

I really need to start tracking. Well really all kinds of scent work. So that is my goal for this week, to start scent work and work on her taking metal in her mouth. Given her love of chewing on aluminum cans I don't antcipate too much of a problem with the metal. For the tracking Ivan Balabanov has a Train per View site that has different training videos including puppy tracking. I am going to try and watch that this week. I am running a linux system though. I can watch the test video on my computer, but the free videos haven't loaded for me. Of course that could be my impatience. So I have some computer work to do before I try and watch the videos. I know most people are running windows PCs, but more and more people are switching to Macs and linux. I wish people would take that in to account when setting thses sites up. This isn't the only time I have run in to this problem.

No comments: